When it comes to astronomy telescopes there are few bigger brand names that Celestron. These 3 Celestron reflector telescopes are examples of the quality for which they are known.
Celestron Firstscope 114EQ 114mm Reflector Telescope
The Celestron Firstscope 114EQ 114mm Reflector Telescope is a first rate, top quality telescope, and is well rated for either astronomy beginners or more advanced users. The Celestron Firstscope features a German Equatorial mount that will help to avoid the vibrations that you might feel with lighter ones.
With manual controls for slow-motion, and a 900mm focal length, the tripod is adjustable aluminum, heavy enough to keep the telescope stable but light enough to make it easily portable for those times when you want to take the telescope with you. What’s the point in having a smaller telescope if its too heavy to take on spur-of-the-moment forays?
Your Celestron Firstscope is small enough that you can leave it set up in a corner, and keep it ready to go, but its beefy enough that you can use it for viewing Saturn’s rings, see the bands of Jupiter and even track the moons.
The Celestron gives you just the right amount of power to see anything you’d care to view, and see it in great detail. The views of the moon are incredible, using the 10mm eyepiece you are able to get great views of the craters.
The Celestron Firstscope telescope does come equipped with just about anything you need, including two eyepieces, of 20mm and 10mm, but if you’re like the rest of us, you’re probably going to add to that along the way. Using either included eyepiece you can view nebula, as well as make out the gas clouds of Orion, all with relatively good clarity.
The cost for the Celestron Firstscope, particularly in light of what you can view with it is exceptional. It is a very good beginner or intermediate telescope that comes at an affordable cost.
Heavy enough to prevent vibration, at 19 pounds this is just one of the Celestron reflector telescopes that is just light enough to be very easily portable, making it ideal for late night excursions for sky watching.
- High quality Dobsonian style stand with a 76mm reflector optical tube make FirstScope an ideal entry level astronomical telescope.
- Portable and lighweight table-top design makes it easy to store, transport and setup your FirstScope Telescope
- FirstScope is very easy to observe with, the user simply navigates the night sky by moving the tube in the direction of their desired object.
- Stylish and decorative design makes FirstScope a wonderful keepsake for anyone interested in astronomy
Celestron C8-NGT – Newtonian Reflector Goto Telescope
The second of our Celestron reflector telescopes in this review is the C8-NGT.
The Celestron C8-NGT is a modern, computerized telescope whose automation and stability give it professional performance. First, the telescope comes with standard accessories that make it a loaded, ready-to-use set right out of the box. The 50x eyepiece and 9×50 finderscope are the quality that you’d have to add on to other telescopes, and virtually guarantee satisfaction without having to supplement the scope right away.
They were certainly included to make sure you could enjoy the massive amount of light gathered by the 8” refractor. With the finderscope’s bi-directional alignment screws, accuracy is built-in to the unit standard. Also, the port for astrophotography is versatile and useful, and is ideal for longer exposures.
The star of the system is the CG-5 mount. First, the tripod features sturdy legs whose construction leads to longer stability and better views. The accessory tray and leg brace contribute to both the functionality and the stability of the tripod.
The computerized equatorial mount is the reason for this stability, as it offers unparalleled motion and control. Precision-crafted worm gears create a smooth-slewing mount. The servo motors are encoded on both axes, and the alignment of the mount is outstanding as a result.
The control of the mount is what truly defines the computerized GT-series mount. The NexStar program comes loaded with over 40,000 objects in its database. In addition, there are 200 objects with in-depth information and 100 user-definable objects for complete customization. The hand control is easy to use with brightly backlit LED light buttons, and slewing to various objects is intuitive and effective.
In addition, a port on the hand control allows for control via personal computer, and the NexRemote software is almost a necessity when you witness its ease and accuracy. The entire system is upgradeable with downloadable updates from the internet. As a bonus, included is “The Sky” CD ROM, a program that is filled with information and allows for easily-printable sky maps.
Finally, for ease of use and alignment, the C8 includes a latitude scale and the mount is GPS-compatible, but is perhaps the only accessory required for the unit. The operation, control and stability of the C8-NGT make for a great observational experience.
- Quick and easy no-tool setup. Slow motion controls for smooth tracking
- Erect image optics - Ideal for terrestrial and astronomical use. Fully coated glass optical components with high transmission coatings for enhanced image brightness and clarity. 3x Barlow lens triples the magnifying power of each eyepiece
- Accessory tray for convenient storage of accessories
- BONUS Astronomy Software download with a 10,000-object database, printable sky maps and 75 enhanced images
Celestron 31057 Omni 150 XLT Reflector
The third of our Celestron reflector telescopes is the Omni 150 XLT.
A great telescope for beginners, the Celestron 31057 Omni 150 XLT Reflector Telescope thrills astronomy enthusiasts by bringing faint deep space objects into sharp view. It possesses a powerful light gathering capacity that exceeds the keenest dark-adapted vision by 459 times, bringing to light wonders which otherwise escape the naked eye.
The Omni XLT 150 frees images from the chromatic aberrations typical of achromatic refractors. With Newtonian reflector optics and an f/5 parabolic mirror that uses aspheric shaping technology in crisp, sharp relief, minus any spherical aberrations. It has a 6” aperture, 750mm focal length, and an aluminum optical tube which allows the reflectors to quickly cool to ambient temperatures.
Each Omni XLT is hand-selected for the highest grade reflectors and lenses. Light transmission is optimized with StarBright XLT coatings. Each telescope includes a 25mm multi-coated eyepiece, a 1.25” star diagonal, and a 1.25 rack and pinion focuser.
- High quality reflector with superior optics
- Advanced StarBright XLT coatings for maximum light transmission
- 25 mm multi-coated eyepiece with 20mm eye relief
- CG-4 German Equatorial mount
- ‘The Sky’ Level 1 planetarium CD Rom, that has a database of 10,000 stars and objects for plotting and display on your windows computer
- High quality optical glass
- 1.25″ star diagonal
CG-4 German Equatorial Mount with setting circles and slow motion controls – for accurate location and tracking of sky objects
- Ball bearings in both mount axes for smooth adjustments
- Heavy-duty pre-assembled stainless steel tripod featuring 1.75″ legs, accessory tray and bubble level
- Easy no-tool setup for convenient portability
Other technical details of the Celestron 31057 Omni 150 XLT Reflector Telescope:
- Highest Useful Magnification: 354 x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 21 x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 13.4
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 13.4
- Light Gathering Power: 459 x
- Angular Field of View: 1.67 °
- Weight:45.5 lb (20.64 kg)
For the price one could do no better than the Celestron 31057 Omni 150 XLT Reflector Telescope. The Omni 150 outclasses its 130-150 competitors with ease. The large 150 reflector collects great amounts of light, resulting in everything from the moon, Saturn’s rings, Jupiter and its moons, as well as deep space objects like nebulae and constellations.
A great scope for beginning astronomers, they will soon feel like pros once they feel the heavy, precision control of the mount, and its motorized clock drive, which allows objects to be tracked from sunset to sunrise. They will soon be tracking objects they didn’t know were there before.
The first thing you notice is how heavy this telescope actually is. Enthusiasts might prefer to keep it set up in a permanent spot. However if you wish to take it out, you’ll find the ease of setup and the durability of its materials to be more than up to the task for all kinds of weather and terrain conditions. This makes scouting new sites with better visibility a fun and rewarding experience this telescope offers.
Because it’s a reflective telescope, images appear reversed and upside down. In order to use it for terrestrial viewing you’ll have to purchase a additional erecting prism for image correction. For more detail-oriented intermediate and expert users, the use of additional eyepieces may bring other planets into sharper detail.
The Celestron 31057 Omni 150 XLT Reflector Telescope combines high quality optics and light-touch mechanics with great performance and ease of use, in a very stable, yet portable package. With high attention to manufacture quality and detail, and convenient expandability, this telescope packs a lot of big bang for the buck; it will provide years of stimulating activity for the growing astronomer.
- Manual German equatorial mount with setting circles to accurately locate and track sky objects.
- Adjustable, full height steel tripod with deluxe accessory tray. Quick and easy no-tool setup
- Accessories include a 20mm and 10mm eyepiece, and a finderscope. Optical tube length: 610mm
- Download Starry Night Basic Software with a 10,000 object database, printable sky maps and 75 enhanced images.
Last update on 2020-07-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API